We are happy to write that development and conservation is continuing at Ileret. The kitchen at Telesgaye primary school (located in Sieslucho) has been equipped with two energy saving stoves: one 100 litre stove for the students, and smaller 20 litre stoves for the kitchen.
The stoves use fibre glass lining and brick lining to contain the heat within the metal frame and thereby reduce heat lost. The stoves are additionally designed to minimize carbon monoxide fumes whereby the smoke is directed to chimneys constructed outside the kitchen. This will not only reduce the cost of firewood for the school but on the long term reduce the amount of trees cut, as well as improve the health of the kitchen staff who have previously been frequently exposed to carbon monoxide fumes.
The cook was delighted to use the new stoves as he no longer is constrained to cook in the small, smoky, hot kitchen he was using last term. The stoves were made possible by the generous $25,000 grant from the Ceres Charitable Foundation.